Where to Find Owl Be Crafty:

Friday, September 8, 2017

Bellarific Friday Sketch Challenge

Happy Friday Crafters! It's been a somewhat stressful week here in Florida with Hurricane Irma on her way. I'm glad to switch focus for a few minutes and share a funky little card for this week's Bellarific Friday Challenge. We were given the fantastic Mojo Bella sketch below as inspiration. I love the Tiny Townie Garden Girls and I wanted to use the Orchid girl in a unexpected way. I googled Orchids and found the gorgeous orange, pink and yellow one below. I didn't realize they came in such bright and unique color combos so I knew I had to use this one as inspiration! 



I just can't put away my Copic markers! Maybe next week I'll try... So I grabbed a piece of X-Press It blending paper and stamped the image in Simon Says Stamp Intense Black Ink. Using the photo as a guide, I chose colors that matched and did my best to recreate the design of the flower. It was definitely a challenge and if I had to color it again there are some things I would change. 

I decided to just go with the flow and try not to pick apart every little fault I saw. I wanted to make her "dress" a bit more special so I pulled out some Stickles in yellow, orange, and pink and applied them originally in detail spots but then I got carried away and just about covered the entire dress, lol! What can I say? I'm addicted to sparkle! 


I set aside the image so that the Stickles could completely dry and focused on creating the background. I really like the stacked squares in the sketch so I turned to my patterned paper stash and selected bright papers that matched the orchid. I cut the yellow paper using my paper trimmer and the white piece using a stitched rectangle die. I then pulled out my new favorite dies, the MFT Mod Square Stax to add a bit more interest to the corner squares. 

I had originally arranged the pieces on a plain black card base but it didn't feel special enough. I looked through my background stamps and decided to use the MFT Etched Tribal Stamp. I prepped the black card base using the EK Success Powder Tool since I was using so much embossing powder. This tool ensures that the embossing powder only sticks to the ink. I stamped the image in Versamark clear sticky ink, covered it with clear embossing powder and set it with my heat gun. I just love the subtle detail this tone on tone trick supplies. 

After assembling the card base, I turned my focus back to the image. I fussy cut the image, leaving a small white border around it. I then mounted her to the card base using foam tape. I really like how she didn't completely fit inside the frame. It made her look like she's popping off the card. To finish it off, I grabbed a few black enamel dots and that was it! 

Here's a closer look at all that Stickles sparkle! In real life you can tell that the glitter is different colors. It really enhances the Copic coloring. 


Be sure to check out the Stamping Bella blog and see how the rest of the Design Team used the sketch as inspiration. I love using sketches and it's neat to see how others interpret them. If you would like to participate in Bellarific Fridays for a chance to be entered into a monthly drawing to win some Bella Bucks click on the link below for more details. 


Next week's Bellarific Friday challenge is one of my favorites - Create Your Own Background. You can use stamps, papers, embossing, dies, and more! Just get creative and join in the fun! 

To all of those in Florida that are also facing Irma, I send you positive vibes. Florida Strong! See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment